Monday, October 11, 2010

The Right Attachment

I took the day off work today to spend time with my two little loves after a week of intense preparation for my Christmas shoot.

We baked muffins together, had a dance party, went out to the park, snuggled up for a nap together, and met daddy after work for some shopping! After dinner, we turned the table into congas as we banged our way through a song where each member sang a line.

Uncontrollable laughter filled the air. Work was far from my thoughts.

If you've been keeping up with me, you've probably already learned that I do nothing better than reflect. So, of course, tonight I spent some time replaying the events of the day.

It took me back to my childhood and something I learned very well from my parents. They taught me to be "desprendida." The dictionary defines it as being unselfish, detached, and open-handed.

My parents did that well. There was nothing they couldn't live without; not their money, not their status, not their possessions.

As they day went on today, I realized that I often allow myself to get too attached to things that lack true worth. In light of eternity, what will determine how successful I am is the type of children I raise.

Today, I choose to hold on to only two things:

1. For my heart to be right with God

2. To be the loving wife and mother my family needs me to be

Won't you make the choice with me too?

"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:33 (NLV)

No comments:

Post a Comment